Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Major Change

So, I've changed my major...again! Here's the story in a nutshell...

When I was originally looking at Simpson, I kinda wanted to be an early childhood education major. I didn't see that in the list of majors, and didn't ask anyone about it, so just assumed it wasn't possible here. I was already taking piano lessons here though, and didn't really want to change piano teachers again, so I decided to do a double major with a BA in Music and a BA in Management, with the idea to open a music store. Well, I decided last spring that I couldn't really see myself actually doing that, especially with the way the economy is headed...so, I decided to go for a Bachelor of Music in Education. Well, that threw me even more intensely into the music program. This past semester, I learned from my roommate (who is a double major--BA in Music and BA in Elementary Education) that to do early childhood education, you get an Elem Ed degree and then an endorsement in early childhood. Okay, great. So I could've done that after all. Last semester was really hard on me, and I decided over break that I was getting tired of the music department--it's so much more intense than I ever dreamed it would be. So, I'm now in the process of switching back to a BA in Music and adding a BA in Elem Ed with an endorsement in reading. It's going to add a semester plus a couple summer classes, but it'll be worth it. I've decided that I'd rather have a job that doesn't really have much to do with music, and save music for when I want to do it, BECAUSE I want to do it...not because I HAVE to do it. Which is what it's kinda like now...and I'm starting to get burnt out. I don't want to end up hating piano, so I'm pulling back from it. I only need piano lessons and to be in choir (plus recital attendance) and a 1/2 hour piano recital in order to get my BA in Music--I've already done all the coursework for it. So, yesterday I had to talk to both of my advisors and to some professors and change all of my classes for this semester. Next, I have to get a change-of-major form so my degree audit will be correct. I'll still be pretty busy, but a little different kind of busy.

5 comments:

Dalayna said...

That's a big change, but worth it if that's what you want to do.
When I taking piano lessions, I never put in the practice time that my teacher said I should. I always just wanted to play for me, when I wanted to, not for anybody else.

The J's said...

Better to recognize you want a change and do it now, than starting over later! (or being unhappy with what you did!)
Good luck, & hope your days will bring you a little more joy!

Heather said...

Thanks! I'm going to have more writing and reading to do, but my schedule will be a little more open. I had my first piano lesson of the semester today, and there's already a lot less pressure, now that he knows how I've been feeling about things. Looks like things will be a lot better!

Jim Weeda said...

Hang in there. :) I can't stand playing the piano any more cause I was forced to do it for SOO many years. I wanted to switch to guitar and the 'rents said I could when I was 13, but that never happened cause I guess I was too good at piano. I hated performing too, whether in recital or for others, but was also forced to do that. It totally ruined it for me. =P I've tried several times over the last 13 years to get back into it, but it doesn't take long to "hate" it again!! So, don't burn yourself out. Not worth it down the road!!!

Heather said...

I just have to get through this semester and then two more semesters of piano lessons...and then I'll be done with them! Then I can play ragtime and duets all I want, yay! That's part of the problem...around here, I don't get to play the kind of music I want to play. It's WAY too focused on "classical" music, which becomes more work than fun for me.