Yesterday I started my second summer job...special ed summer school. It's only during the month of July, Monday-Thursday, 8-12 in the morning. There's a preschool section and an elementary section--I work in the elementary room, which is the room my mom works in during the school year. So, I already knew all the kids and what to expect for the most part. They can be so cute and sweet, but the next moment can be SO frustrating. Especially when you can tell they're deliberately testing you to see how far you'll let them go. Had to put one boy, Brad, in the "frog" position today...hands, knees, and head on the floor--hold him there till he's quiet, then count to 10 before you let him up--and then go right back to what you were trying to get him to do before. Brad is the kid my mom is with all day every day during school. I've seen her in action how she works with him, and of course I've heard lots of stories at home about what goes on at school, so I try to work with him the same way. He is SO stubborn, and he will defy you with a smile on his face. Argh! I'm not sure if he's been officially diagnosed...but we (the teachers/TAs) are pretty sure he was a drug baby...he has a lot of problems.
Another little boy is Austin, 5 years old or so. He's blind, and although he hasn't been diagnosed as autistic, he has some definite autistic tendencies. Which I know quite a bit about autism, because my mom worked with an autistic girl for 8 years, before she started working with Brad. But the blindness makes things so much more difficult. I feel so sorry for him! I can't imagine what it would be like--no sight, and so far no communication skills other than screaming/crying or smiling. And if he is autistic, that means there's the added element of lacking social skills.
And that's just two of the kids...there's also a boy and girl each with Down's syndrome, a girl with epilepsy, a boy who is "slow" and shows some autistic tendencies, and another girl and boy (I'm not sure what they're diagnosed with). It's a regular three-ring circus at times...and right now, there's only the teacher, me, and another TA. During the school year, there's several more adults in the room, because most of the kids have a one-on-one hired to work with them. (There's another boy with epilepsy in the room during the school year, he's not there this summer.)
Working with these kids makes me sooo thankful that my family is all "normal"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
normal, family, what?? ;) Sounds like your staying pretty busy. You're great with kids! You've put up w/ Andy for quite awhile. ;) <3
Wow, that's quite a challenge, but I would guess that you do a great job working with those kids!! I know what you mean about being thankful your family is "normal"...but also had to laugh at Mark's comment. You've heard the saying--"Everyone's a bit strange but thee and me, and sometimes I wonder a little about thee?"!! LOL!
Yes, it's definitely a challenge, although one that I'm enjoying (for the most part)! I do my best!
I was wondering how soon you'd get a playlist on here :*)
I have to laugh every time I hear "Any Man of Mine"....I love the rhythm, but what is so funny is the memory of my niece singing that song at her cousin's wedding rehearsal (as a joke) instead of the one she was suppose to. Unfortunately everyone else got a much bigger laugh out of it than the bride to be!
lol that's great :P
I love that song
Post a Comment