Thursday, July 17, 2008

The park

At summer school today, I was in the preschool room, and for recess we went to the "big kids'" playground, and I swung on the swingset. It was so much fun! Oh, to be a kid again, when life was so uncomplicated! (just kidding...I have a pretty great life) Seriously though, it was neat to be a kid again for a little while.

When I got off work, I had the idea to go grab a sandwich and go to the park to eat, since I had a few hours of free time. So, I grabbed a deli sandwich and some watermelon from Walmart, and went to East Lake Park. I ate lunch in the gazebo next to the lake (so peaceful!), and then settled down to read a book. Only the food and quietness made me sleepy...so I napped for awhile. Then, I wanted to walk the trail that goes around the lake...only, I discovered that it hasn't been kept up this summer! So I only got to go partway. After that, I went down to the main playground area, swung on the swings and spun on the merry-go-round. Whee! :-)

Moral of the story: if you have a bad day, or need to just get away from people or things for awhile, just go to a park or playground, and play at being a kid again. It makes you feel much better!

7 comments:

Laura Jelinek said...

It takes some clouds and sunshine, it takes some wind and rain....Thinking of you muchly!
Lj

Heather said...

Yeah, right now there seems to be a lot of clouds and not much sunshine. Ugh.

The J's said...

I haven't been to the park to swing for a long time...maybe that's what I need! I remember the feeling--somehow it does seem to help blow out the cobwebs! A thought sent from convention last week..."Issues" are Man-made. They are not from God.

Heather said...

thanks Maxine for the conv thought

jrjelinek said...

Thanks for the vision of swinging at the park. Just what I need after a night of work where all the grownups wanted to be kids again. We did have one happy thing happen though and that was our lady who lost her leg found a new one today (in the form of a prothesis) so we all got to cheer her on and then laugh with her when her family called and ask her where her leg was and how it was doing and she responded in the closet and I think it is doing fine but I can't reach the door to check on it. So I did get a laugh at work.

Diane T. said...

I did a little swinging with my kids this summer. I was really happy that I could do it and not feel woozy in the stomach. That has happened in the past. Too much time spent with our feet on the ground, hinders us from ever reaching the heights. Is there a lesson in that?

Anonymous said...

I still love to swing. It's one of my favorite wind-down mindless things to do. :)