Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thoughts

I was reading through my notes from Antioch earlier today. One phrase I remember is "Just because something is easy to get into doesn't mean it's right. And just because something isn't wrong doesn't mean it's beneficial." There's soo much in this world to "get into." I thought I had seen/heard a lot in high school...until I went to college, where I live in the middle of it. I enjoy college, yes, it's fun, but I look forward to Bible study each Wednesday night for some time away from the world, and I love going home each weekend, and just getting away from everything at Simpson (homework included! ha). I kind of miss a couple friends from up there, and a couple friends from high school...but not very much, especially after being at Antioch convention. I especially realized it when there were things that made me soo happy, that I couldn't talk about with my school friends, because they would never understand. Like what it is to be at convention. To be in God's presence. To find out someone you care about has professed and you laugh and cry at the same time. To have amazing peace.

I like being in "my own little world," and I can retreat there during the summer easier than during the school year, even with having a job...because even though I'm in the world during the day, I can come home to a quiet house where I can read and pray and think about godly things...no tv, no bad language, no dirty songs to distract me and clutter my mind. Although, I'm getting better at putting aside those things when I do have to be around them. A quote that comes to mind from Seneca a couple years ago--"It's better to be alone with God than alone with ourselves." Alone with self, you're not alone at all...there's so much of the world that crowds in, so much from Satan. Being alone with God, however, keeps that stuff away, opening space for Him to fill with His love and power and peace. I want to know more of that.

4 comments:

Laura Jelinek said...

I like your blog. I really know what you mean about being away from the world. I loved being in swedish school for 7 months, but in some ways it was a big culture shock after not being in public school since I was 9 and not being in the working world since 2000. When ever I got time off we got to be around the friends a lot more or go on special mtg rounds and it just felt like a person could really breathe:-)
Lj

Jim Weeda said...

Yeah... I know how you feel too. I get sooo sick of the language and conversations here at work. Its soo easy to get sucked into it too cause thats all that is talked about. And sometimes I go home in a bad mood from it and then when the kids get on my nerves a little then I think those same words! But I try hard to block it out and it helps when I am able to not "participate". Then it makes me so happy to see my family when I get home!

The J's said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Heather! I'm not "out in it" that much anymore, but well remember coming back home & going to school after convention, and just hugging the thought to myself that the kids around me really didn't have a clue of what my life was *really* like, or the wonderful friends that I had.

Diane T. said...

Heather, just stopping by to say Hi.Hope you are enjoying summer. I am.