Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11/2001



I was a freshman in high school that fall. I remember sitting in study hall second period...I could probably even tell you which desk I was sitting in...across the aisle from Amber Butler. We were watching the news and talking about it. I remember going from class to class that day, watching the news in each class and not getting much schoolwork done. What was happening was absolutely unbelievable. I was not at Boyden, IA convention that year, but I remember others who were there said it was the quietest convention they'd ever been to (Boyden is going on right now).

Today, I had my first hour of field experience, where I went to the elementary school next to campus to observe a fourth grade classroom. I was there during math...they were going over a worksheet, and one question on it was "What is the name of a 5-sided polygon?" Answer: Pentagon. So that sparked a discussion about 9/11, and it was absolutely amazing the things those 10-year-olds remembered from 9/11/2001, when they were 5 years old. One kid had a parent who was in NYC that day, another had a relative who was a firefighter or soldier or something who helped with the aftermath.

I'm so thankful for God's hand in everything, including earthly tragedies like that day, and glad that He has a plan. I'm also thankful that I don't know the future, and that I can trust Him to lead us all where we need to be.






I did some research on the songs of the branches of our military, and learned that when more than one service song is played, they are played in the order specified by Army regulations: Army (The Army Goes Rolling Along), Marine Corps (US Marine Hymn), Navy (Anchors Aweigh), Air Force (US Air Force Song), and Coast Guard (Semper Paratus - Always Ready). That is the order in which I placed them in the playlist.

No comments: